Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A learning experience (field Coil)

Hi John, I looked at pictures online but most everything was just a guess. I knew what I wanted it to do, I just had to match parts without a lot of trouble or expense. I ordered a sewing machine motor complete with foot pedal from amazon. What a piece of junk. I had to fix the pedal before I could use it. And even then the motor would just stop sometimes. I had to make a pulley reduction to get the rpms down to something I could use, as the motor is listed for 6000rpm all out. I used the foot control to vary the speed so I don't know what to say about winding rpms. Winding 15,000ft of wire took me about three hours with breaks. This was my first field coil, so I started out trying to wind it as neat as possible. About a fourth of the way in I gave up on that and just filled the spool best I could. Trying not to build up too much wire in one spot. The two wooden balls were not my idea, but worked well at holding the plastic spool that the new wire was on. If you look close you will see folded paper towels under one edge of the new wire spool. That kept the new spool from unwinding. Even as I was winding the coil I was thinking of things I will do different on the next one. I need to come up with some sort of guide for the wire. Fingers just don't cut it.

Stan

Messages In This Thread
RE: I learning experience (field Coil) - by Stan the Man - 12-27-2020, 08:57 AM
RE: A learning experience (field Coil) - by morzh - 12-27-2020, 10:44 AM
RE: A learning experience (field Coil) - by n1ps - 01-04-2021, 08:06 PM