Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Yet another Maggie-Vox

Looks like it'll have to be a 181. I just had a quick look at it this afternoon, and there is a transformer of some sort next the 6L6's. There are two speakers. One 6L6 appears to be original, with the RCA Radiotron stamp on the base.

I have the prewar Magnavox book, and when I get a chance to catch my breath, I'm going to study the set. I believe that this has the same chassis as my prewar Regency, which I re-capped a few years ago. They surely did put out some nice stuff. I'm anxious to get into that chassis.

The Buick is back home now, but the transmission connections to the radiator are a hopeless mess. That's the fault of the guy who installed the radiator a while back. There is a transmission cooler on each side of the radiator (It's a cross-flow), and BOTH coolers were connected to the trans cooler lines, originally. The guy took a short cut, and used only one side. that was the beginning of a major fiasco, which I have to get straightened out now.

I'm also anxious to get into the Philco 37-650 sets, and get them performing properly. The one that we had in Detroit was a wonderful radio, especially for the price that father paid for it. I've never heard the phonograph model......heck, this one is only the second one I've ever seen! I plan on getting pictures of all three of those sets. There is no phono model in your book. In fact, there isn't a "B" model either...(?).

Now, next question. Was there a chairside version of the 37-650? In general chairside cabinets had smaller chassis in them because of the poor ventilation of that cabinet design. Can you just imagine the 15 tube Zenith chairside and the heat it must have put out?

Messages In This Thread
Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Doug Houston - 03-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Ron Ramirez - 03-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Doug Houston - 03-17-2011, 09:10 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Ron Ramirez - 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Doug Houston - 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Ron Ramirez - 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Doug Houston - 03-19-2011, 03:55 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Doug Houston - 04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
Re: Yet another Maggie-Vox - by Ron Ramirez - 04-06-2011, 12:31 AM