Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

advice needed: restoring 47-1230 - FM & AM now works!!!! :D (uncertain about SW)

Thanks for the hints guys!

Light power is a likely candidate for the cut wires: there is an unwired lamp for the phono, and matching wires to a limit switch. I did measure it yesterday, it was a steady voltage, around 6V if memory serve...

- ok, just tried with a light, it works. don't know why someone would cut that, but if the phono had been dead for a while, maybe it was in the way... -

For FM... how does one know if a tube is still good?
as far as I know, there's 9 tubes and they all emit a certain quantity of light when listening to radio. Could a tube still emit a certain quantity of light but not be good anymore?
anyway, I'd tend to think about bad capacitors. I guess if I am to replace any, I need to pull the chassis out of the cabinet?

Phono... can these players player play something else than 78 rpm? I was somehow hoping to play 33 rpm vinyls on it...
Are there any caps on the phono side? because if I unplug the audio connector between the changer and the radio chassis, and connect something else, the humming sound is not there, and the audio is crystal clear. The issue needs to be on the phono side.
I was kind of upside-down trying to look under the turntable, so I am uncertain what was there, but I saw what seemed like a motor, and another module that looks like a coil Both ran hot, so I think power gets all the way there, altough I don't hear, feel or see any motion. As I said, I tried to turn the table manually and it wasn't stuck. I guess there's a short. If Richard is right, and the rubber got petrified, would I be able to turn the disc manually?
The "manual / auto" switch is stuck at auto and won't move to manual. Not that it matter until I can have rotation...

Maybe I should get one of the magnetic stylus cartdrige and see if I get sound out of it... where should I look for those?

At this point, I'll wait until I am done making the electronics work before doing the wood refinish (and wait for warmer meteo too.)
It looks good, but I agree it seems like it had been stripped somewhen. I am under the impression that some cleaning and scealant might be all that's needed.

Thanks again for the welcome and the tips and hints! This is my first vintage radio, I am enjoying fixing it, so thanks for the help!

-Mars

Messages In This Thread
Re: advice needed bringing this 47-1230 to its former glory - by Marsupial - 04-03-2011, 05:59 PM