Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

restoring cabinet; where to begin?

Hi

There are guys on this Phorum, such as Steve Davis, Exray, and others (apologies for leaving names out, but I can't remember every cabinet expert here) who are very good at cabinet restoration and I'll let them give you the pointers since cabinet work is, admittedly, my weak point when it comes to vintage radios.

The first step would be to remove what little of the original finish remains. Then, do the needed cabinet repairs. By using a thin knife blade or other thin piece of metal, you can get some glue in the layers in back that are becoming delaminated, then clamp until the glue dries.

The cracks on the bottom molding can be filled with wood filler.

The veneer chip can be fixed, and it isn't that difficult. If I can do that, you can too Icon_smile You just have to cut a new piece of veneer to the same size as that missing triangular piece, and make sure the grain in your patch is running in the same direction as the rest of the veneer in that spot.

Toning? I do not have a good photo of a 47-1230, and I need one for my Philco Gallery (hint, hint) ;) ...but anyway, I can tell you that the bottom trim and the phono door/speaker grille should be Extra Dark Walnut; the body should be Medium Walnut overall, and the upper trim and perhaps the escutcheon would be Medium Dark Walnut.

As for the knobs. Some guys soak them overnight in a solution of dishwashing liquid and water. Others use dishwashing liquid, a little ammonia, and water, and let them soak a couple hours or so due to the use of ammonia. Then remove the knobs, go over them with an old toothbrush - not the one you are currently using in your mouth, but an old toothbrush or a cheap one you bought just for cleaning knobs. Rinse, dry, and then polish with something like car wax, Brasso, or even Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish.

There may be sources for knob springs, but in a pinch you can use a piece of metal cut from one of those old packages of small fuses. They used to be packaged in thin metal containers - now, they are in plastic packages, if they are packaged at all.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
restoring cabinet; where to begin? - by Marsupial - 04-11-2011, 10:27 PM
Re: restoring cabinet; where to begin? - by Ron Ramirez - 04-12-2011, 06:49 AM
Re: restoring cabinet; where to begin? - by Arran - 04-12-2011, 08:19 PM