Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Starting a 37-10 project - odd cap question

Thank you both, Larry and Terry.

I had considered that it was "a fix" of some sort. It has clearly been serviced to one degree or another in the past.

A couple of the tubes are, while the correct type, no longer "Philco" branded. The power cord is most certainly not original(and a bit of a sloppy soldering job). And I noted that there is also a resistor in the RF unit that is... well, the lead appears to have been actually snipped vs just "come loose" or unsoldered. So... somebody has had their hands in here at some point. I won't comment on other also noted "globby" soldering joints beyond that they exist.

There may have been a small number of quietly expelled vulgarities, an obscenity or two, and a dash of profanity for good spice.

Now that said, if someone had gone in here and added this 40mfd as a "fix" vs replacing the canned 10/20 combo, two things makes me go "hmmm" that I would like to possibly also get an opinion on. If you have the time, of course.

- doesn't this notably change the characteristics of the rectifier output?
- if someone had just added this in there, whether as a replacement for one leg of the canned combo or just a "I have no clue but it works now" type of "fix", I find it curious that they would go through the trouble of attaching a mounting bracket to the chassis. That seems like more work than just replacing the original part or just hooking it up and calling it a day, no?

I'll double-check it later this afternoon after work and see where it hooks up. 

thank you again for your replies.

Knows enough to be dangerous, occasionally successful, rarely correct.