Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ron's Christmas 2021 Chassis Repair

> Do I understand you that those tubes are exact pin-out replacements, or was rewiring involved here?

With the exception of the 35Y4, the tubes are pin for pin replacements. Only the heater voltages differ.

The 35Y4 uses pin 4 as a heater tap for the dial lamp; otherwise it, too, is a pin-for-pin replacement of the 35Z3. Philco originally used pin 4 on the 35Z3 socket as a tie point for other things, and that tie point must be removed. However, as my repair technique for these little Transitones involves stripping the chassis bare, removing all wiring and components and rewiring it from scratch, this is no issue.

Completely removing all rubber-covered wires and rewiring the radio is the only way to ensure the radio will be more or less "safe" now and in the future. Of course, no series string filament AC/DC radio is completely "safe," but they may be safely operated as long as common sense prevails.

> When you are done, is there anything still broadcasting on that SW band?

There is no SW band on this set, it is AM only. I don't know why Philco felt the need to include a second scale indicating meters. I feel it is redundant and a waste of time and space since we don't use meters to indicate AM station position in the USA. But hey - I didn't design the set.

I suppose since the pointer only sweeps 180 degrees on the dial, they wanted to put something on there to use what would otherwise be empty space.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ron's Christmas 2021 Chassis Repair - by Ron Ramirez - 12-31-2021, 07:22 AM
462ron - by 462ron - 12-31-2021, 07:56 AM