Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Repair Help on 1936 Philco Cathedral Radio

You could drill out the connections at the eyelets but NOT THE EYELETS on the blocks where the capacitor's wires come thru and are soldered to the terminal. If you are going to that it's not much more work to clean out the inside and replace the caps therein.
I use a heat gun w/the block unbolted to heat the sides an bottom. Use a needle nose pliers in the screw hole and a small jewelers screwdrivers in the center eyelet. I can usually push the whole mess all together.
Digging and chipping at it can result in cracking or breaking the block and it's messy. Lots of little specs of tar to cleanup.
Most of the blocks will have one cap or two caps of the same value. In the case of #33 there two of differing values. If the get them switched in the wrong order the audio will be level low and sound muffled. Nothing bad will happen but it may take a little time to troubleshoot if you didn't know what to look for. Don't ask me how I know...

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread
RE: Repair Help on 1936 Philco Cathedral Radio - by Radioroslyn - 01-30-2022, 04:49 PM