Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

VTVM - misaligned, or I need to learn how to read?

if you don't have the manual I have a copy of the service manual for a V-7A I'd be happy to send you if it helps.....

calibration is'nt hard on these.....

basically set the DC for + and the range for 1.5V ....use the "zero adjust" to set the needle on zero and hook your test leads to a fresh "C" battery ..........adjust the DC calibrate till the needle shows 1.5VDC (full scale)

to adjust OHMS set the meter on "OHMS" and tweak the OHMS adjust knob on the front for full scale (infinity) making sure the test leads arent touching anything

then touch test leads (AC/OHMS and COMMON) together and meter should drop to zero

for AC remove the AC/OHMS test lead and tweak AC BAL so that need has minimal movement when cycling switch through AC/DC+/DC-

plug your AC test lead back in and set range to 150V with the other knob set to AC

connect your AC/OHMS probe and common to a regular AC outlet (I like to use the surge protector thats already on my bench and I'll stick a small "pocket" screwdriver with a plastic handle into one side of the outlet to clip my "common" onto)

adjust AC CAL untill meter shows 117V

if your meter is the same face as mine that will be just past 1/2 way between 11 and 12 on the DCV/ACV scale

to read the scales

on the 1.5V range:
for voltage...use the 0-15 scale and move the decimal one place to the left....
(9 on the scale is .9 ....15 is 1.5 etc)

5V range:
for voltage use the 0-50 and move the decimal one place to the left....
(25 on the scale is 2.5 etc)

15V range...use 0-15V scale and no correction needed 7v shown is 7v

50V range...use 0-50V scale and no correction needed 25v shown is 25v

150v range use the 0-15 scale and add a zero 11V becomes 110V etc

500V range use 0-50 scal and add a zero...25V shown is 250v

1500v range use the 0-15 scale and add two zeros 11V becomes 1100V etc

this works the same way whether you are using AC OR DC

to use for ohms just keep adding zeros

RX1 needs no correction but above that it's all multiples of 10...

RX10= resistance TIMES 10 = 20 shown =200 OHMS.

RX100= resistance TIMES 100 = 20 shown =2000 OHMS.

and so forth...make sense?

Messages In This Thread
Re: VTVM - misaligned, or I need to learn how to read? - by scottericsonon - 05-07-2011, 09:31 AM