Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First attempt at rewinding an oscillator coil (Phil 38-12)

Art Hoch Wrote:Is it time to start adjusting the i.f.s????? Being a first-timer on this thing, I don't quite know what to expect.

Thanks for your help.

No, no, no. Ok, Art. You got it working . That's the first step. DO NOT go messing with the IFs, puleeze! because all of this advice will turn to mush. They have nothing to do with this repair. I know you from many years of posts so I know you must have some savvy.

You can do this by ear if you work at it Icon_smile The "second radio trick" is a technique to find the local oscillator frequency. You should find about 455kc difference between your dial setting and what you hear on the second radio. if you're 100kc off then maybe you'll hear some strong local stations on the wrong part of the dial but at least you have something to work with. 7estaf says the right thing if you are too high or too low. Might have to add/subtract a few turns to get the coil into the infield instead of the ballpark.

Modern frequency counters, an AADE L/C meter or even an old timey Grid Dip Oscillator make a relative breeze out of these issues!

Get that local oscillator coil tuned within 5 or 10 kcs as heard on the second radio then you'll be in like Flynn.

Messages In This Thread
Re: First attempt at rewinding an oscillator coil (Phil 38-1 - by exray - 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM