Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First attempt at rewinding an oscillator coil (Phil 38-12)

TESTS ATTEMPTED TODAY (MAY 11)

Several of you have suggested these different tests on this non-working Philco radio to see if osc. coil is working. Here is what I tried today and the results;

#1 Set Philco at roughly 1000 kHz and tune a good radio 455 (470 since it is IF on this one) above and below the frequency on Philco. If you hear the squal osc is working.
Results; With Philco set @ 1000, I get a squawl/squeal on good radio at about 1200 kHz and about 610-620 kHz. Not loud but I hear it. I hear no broadcast anywhere.

#2 Set good radio to a clear spot about 1200 kHz and tune the Philco up and down the dial. Faint whistle indicates the radio's osc is working.
Results; I hear nothing today and I hear no broadcast anywhere.

#3 Set Philco @ 550 kHz and place ant wire near 6A7 tube and it should be heard at 1020 kHz.
Results; I hear nothing & I hear no broadcast anywhere.

Other anecdotal notes. A faint station on the good radio gets noticably stronger when I connect ext. antenna to Philco (this was @ about 1300 kHz.) I also hear the static noise on good radio when I connect the Philco ext. antenna.

When I touch ext antenna wire to Philco 6A7 grid cap, I hear static in the Philco speaker and also in the good radio.

Is it possible I rewound the osc coil the wrong direction? Should I try unsoldering the wires and reverse them---#1 post to #2 post and vice versa? Starting to get a little frustrated to say the least.

Thanks for all your good help.
Art

Messages In This Thread
Re: First attempt at rewinding an oscillator coil (Phil 38-1 - by Art Hoch - 05-11-2011, 04:34 PM