Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

First attempt at rewinding an oscillator coil (Phil 38-12)

2nd try today:

Wire broke on the "good" original part of the coil---(#1 to #2 post) and I could not rescue it so I took BOTH original coils off and started over. Old #1 to #2 was 82 winds. I replaced it exactly and it tests 1.8 ohms.

#3 to #4 was only 27 winds. I replaced it exactly and it only tests 0.7 ohms. Jumped the connections again and powered up. Nothing.

I reversed the connections to adjust for a different winding direction....same result.

It seems to me that neither coil is long enough although those are the winds I found. As near as I can tell, I used the same wire size. I know 7estatdef suggested a specific # of turns that differ from what I found on this existing coil. Since I don't have success yet, I'm willing to rewind with a higher # of turns if that would be the consensus here in order to get higher readings on the ohms. I'm nowhere close to the ohmage the schematic suggests (2.5 and 3.5 ohms) I'm assuming #1 to #2 is primary. PERHAPS THIS WAS NOT THE ORIGINAL OSC COIL FOR THE RADIO....I DON'T KNOW.

Any different suggestions? Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Re: First attempt at rewinding an oscillator coil (Phil 38-1 - by Art Hoch - 05-12-2011, 05:20 PM