Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

116B dial drive disassembly surprise

Boy, no kidding! Good thing I can go outside and brush this chassis down. It's been in the low 50s here lately.
Sad (but not uncommon) story on this particular radio. It looks like a small animal chewed its way into the top of the cabinet, settled in, and left a lot of tiny ball-shaped droppings. Fortunately, it decided not to perish in there and desiccate. (Shudder.) Gloves, mask and serious sterilization procedures here. Felt a bit like "The Andromeda Strain."

That's actually an AK 37 back there. I picked it up as a spare parts set for my (eventual) AK 38 rebuild — when I get up enough courage to tackle it. Actually, tackling the bakelite condenser blocks in this 116B might not be a bad "introductory lesson" for tackling the AK 37 / AK 38 Power Unit. I'm always willing to learn!

Oh, and yes, this 116B looks like an early one. It has a 10-1/2" speaker.
Thanks for the Service Bulletin link! It's a much better resolution than I was able to pick up by browsing around.

Thanks again for your friendly advice and comments along the way here, too. It feels really great to know there's a crowd rooting for you in the background.

mbhdesign
Michael Hennessey

Messages In This Thread
RE: 116B dial drive disassembly surprise - by mbhdesign - 01-20-2023, 10:03 AM
462ron - by 462ron - 01-21-2023, 10:23 AM