Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help needed with grain filler - Solved, more or less. :-)

Thanks for the replies, guys. I've also discussed this with Exray offline, and he prefers to apply the filler before the sealer. However, he said I should be able to apply it after sealer as you mentioned, Arran. I have read stories online how other people apply sealer, then grain filler. This is what I am attempting to do. Next time though, I might try using the grain filler before the sealer.

It seems to me that folks would seal, then fill to avoid having the sealer stain the wood and give it a muddy appearance. This is what I was trying to avoid.

In my discussion with Exray, I have learned that I did not wait long enough before removing excess, so I was pulling most of the stuff back out of the pores. He recommends waiting 20 minutes. I was trying to follow the instructions on the can which stated to remove excess when it turned dull and hazy. This only took between 5-10 minutes.

I'll try it again later this weekend, and will leave it on for 20 minutes this time before I begin to remove the excess.

As I've said before, I consider myself to be very good with chassis repair but when it comes to cabinets, I'm a complete novice. But I am trying to learn.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Re: Help needed with grain filler! - by Arran - 07-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Re: Help needed with grain filler! - by codefox1 - 07-08-2011, 05:03 AM
Re: Help needed with grain filler! - by Ron Ramirez - 07-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Re: Help needed with grain filler! - by etech - 07-08-2011, 05:26 PM
Re: Help needed with grain filler! - by codefox1 - 07-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Re: Help needed with grain filler! - by etech - 07-09-2011, 08:10 AM