Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume

Quote:I’m normally soldering at 710 degrees
That is too hot. An iron with too little copper mass and/or wattage to hold heat has to be raised in temp to do the job. Net result for items like point to point is there is too much to heat and the scorching temp roasts the flux before it can do its job.

See if a large tip with more mass is available for that species of iron or look for an iron of both higher wattage with more tip mass. May not be able to satisfy a removable tip option.

https://www.techni-tool.com/

https://www.jensentools.com/

Though I had seen that German brand [H-K] a few years back I think they went out of business, the web cannot find them...

Any brand that either Jensen or Techni-Tool sells is good quality.

I have been using at home Utica, they once had a local distributor. If I would break a jaw, they would send it back for replacement, free. That was then Icon_sad

Knipex seems good quality and has box joint options. Select the bent nose pliers carefully as the length of the nose and size of your hand will determine how effective they are for point to point wiring. May want to move up to 5 or 6".

Offset, flush cutting diagonals are the best for managing cuts on both circuit boards and inside cramped chassis.

I discovered certain pliers/cutters are my favorites over time, others I have, well, suck. Like screw drivers, I have a drawer full of them, most, the bits ,have been ground or stoned to fit a certain slot...

I used to "stone" my diagonals when at work. For the lap joint pliers, in time the joint loosens, I'll bash the joint with a ball hammer to tighten it up...

GL

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Messages In This Thread
Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by bridkarl - 04-19-2024, 09:23 PM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by David - 04-20-2024, 04:08 PM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by David - 04-21-2024, 07:35 PM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by Chas - 05-11-2024, 10:21 AM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by Chas - 05-11-2024, 01:00 PM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by Chas - 05-11-2024, 05:04 PM
RE: Hallicrafters SX-62 - low volume - by Chas - 05-11-2024, 06:58 PM