Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-120

So i finally had some success with my Grandfather’s old 40-120.  I had left off the wire between the .25uF #8 and ground.  This is the wire that on the original capacitor was wound around the capacitor 2 times before going to ground.  So anyway I am picking up stations but there is a huge amount of noise.  It sounds like when someone sticks out their tongue and makes the “Edith Ann sound but with static”.  Sorry, describing sound is not my day job! Icon_lol   I have known good tubes and have swapped with others that are known good.  Tried tuning and it helped a very small amount but not good enough.  I even took the radio outside away from the house and ran a long wire suspended to make a makeshift antenna.  Same sound.  I am leaning towards #14 or 15 if/rf cans to check next, but that is not based on any facts.  Caps and resistors all knew except one of the domino micas that the lead broke off at the body of the cap.  I feel like I am so close.  I have read that this radio is one of the worst to pick as a Newby to try and restore and I believe it.  I have an RCA  Victor T-64 shortwave and it was easy compared to this little Philco.

Messages In This Thread
Philco 40-120 - by t32above - 07-03-2024, 04:15 PM