Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-116 radio and remote

Hi all,
I've just finished a restore and alignment on my current project, so now I'm allowed to start on the Philco radio.  I wanted to start with the remote. 
The remote is the one that came with the radio as the transmitter/receiver frequency are paired and the remote has several what would have been local radio stations programmed in. I've taken the mechanism apart, cleaned all the contacts for the pulsing wiper, and cleaned the wiper for the filament.  The filament wiper varied between 15-19 ohms.  I figured this is not good for a 3 V filament.  A good cleaning got it down below 1 ohm.  Everything else was cleaned and sparingly lubricated.  Mechanically, it appears to be working fine.  As with other Tenite dials, mine will have to be flattened.  So, it's off to the boiling water/clamping solution.  Unless there is another way to flatten the dial.  I suspect I may have to replace the wax cap in the remote.
This remote did not come with a battery pack, so I'm making a new one.  I'm looking for a way to replicate the 4 prong female jack that was in the original battery box.  The rubber insulated wire in the remote appears to be in good shape, still very flexible.  I'm not a total purist, so I guess a modern plug would be just fine as it will never be seen.
On another note, I'm expecting some/all of the rubber insulated wire in the chassis to be in bad shape.  I noticed that TubeDepot has cloth covered 20 ga stranded wire in stock.  Would this be a reasonable replacement?  Does anyone have any other suggestions?
When I get into looking at the chassis, I'm sure I'll run into the need for some guidance.  I haven't removed it from the cabinet yet but visually, it appears to be in good shape.  Just lots of dust.  I don't see any rust or nests!
Thanks,
Rich

Messages In This Thread
Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by RichG - 07-17-2024, 01:14 PM
RE: Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by GarySP - 07-17-2024, 03:50 PM
RE: Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by RichG - 07-17-2024, 08:36 PM
RE: Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by RichG - 07-17-2024, 08:47 PM
RE: Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by RichG - 07-18-2024, 07:00 PM
RE: Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by RichG - Yesterday, 04:04 PM