Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-116 radio and remote

Hi Gary,
I figured on replacing all the electrolytics and paper/wax caps. I noted one cap was actually leaking at some point and another has a slight bulge in the can. I usually check the resistors to make sure they are still in tolerance.  I pretty much always end up replacing some.  I couldn't help myself!  Removed the chassis from the cabinet.  There's going to be a fair amount of work cleaning it up, more than I thought.  The rubber insulated wires that come from the stepper relay to the station lamps will need replacing, they are all broken with bare wire showing.  I have a YouTube video saved that does a good job of showing how to rebuild those lamp sockets.  The rubber on mine appears to be fairly flexible so I might be able to save that part. There is one odd bulb that is labeled Philco 44 6-8V.  It is frosted and has a black dot painted over the end.  It has a grounded holder but it was not inserted anywhere. I really, really, really, don't want to, but I think I'm going to have to remove the tuning cap to clean it.  If anyone has some pointers on cleaning it, let me know.  I peeked underneath the chassis and there is still a fair amount of cloth covered wire, but also some rubber insulated wire that will need replacing.  I will have to check the transformers to make sure they all have cloth covered wire.  I've attached a couple of pictures of the top.  Tubes and shields have already been removed.
I was really amazed when I removed the cover to the stepper relay, I found it was foam insulated!  Even back in 1938 they wanted quiet!
Thanks,
Rich

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by RichG - 07-17-2024, 01:14 PM
RE: Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by GarySP - 07-17-2024, 03:50 PM
RE: Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by RichG - 07-17-2024, 08:36 PM
RE: Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by RichG - 07-17-2024, 08:47 PM
RE: Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by RichG - 07-18-2024, 07:00 PM
RE: Philco 39-116 radio and remote - by RichG - Yesterday, 04:04 PM