Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tinkering on the Westinghouse H-777N7

I've gotten a chance to tinker a little bit more with the Westinghouse AM-FM radio I stumbled on yesterday and so far it's turning out to be a good radio. I checked all the tubes in it, which also gave me a chance to give the Sencor "The Hybrider" checker I bought a couple months ago a good test and all the tubes checked good with only the 50C5 worn down some. Even the original 12DT8 checked good, but the radio still seems to prefer the RCA tube I stuck in it yesterday. Although the radio uses a circuit board, it seems fairly roomy and the radio doesn't seem to hold excess heat in the cabinet. From what I can tell, there isn't much to go wrong as most of the capacitors are ceramic discs. Seems all that will need to be replaced are the selenium rectifier, the filter caps, and there are two other small electrolytic caps on the board. No signs of SMD and that little multi cap (can't remember it's name) seems okay. The only real issue I had was the band switch that, although didn't sound dirty, was very fussy until a couple of cleanings. I think I'll use this radio until I get my Zenith C845 finished and then get this one done. It plays pretty well for a virtually untouched 1960's Westinghouse. I do notice you want it really good and warmed up for weaker FM stations unlike my Zeniths which are good to go as soon as you get sound.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Messages In This Thread
Tinkering on the Westinghouse H-777N7 - by Jayce - Yesterday, 12:41 PM

Users browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Philco Model 512 Mandarin Red - LOC Terminal
ANYTHING used at the Mains needs some safety rating, and ANYTHING that can be touched by a human has to be Y-rated and l...morzh — 09:14 AM
Philco 46-480 Power Supply
MrFixr Well, to know exact requirement one has to buy the standards (national standards, to me, must be available for f...morzh — 08:47 AM
Thanks to ALL! I hadn't thought about using a Safety Cap here. I just finished re-doing the Filter Cap can, so I'll sni...jjfritz5528 — 08:20 AM
Morzh, the Phorum has (maybe mistakenly) graded me as "expert" :e_surprised: , but I learn so much from you an...MrFixr55 — 07:52 AM
It is on my 86. Used it as an antenna (yes it was used like that before they realized the perils). I used a Y-cap, 10n...morzh — 07:28 AM
Well it does a couple of things. It will shock you if you touch your fingers between LOC & GND, it acts as a line fi...Radioroslyn — 07:10 AM
Not going from any document, but my semi-educated guess is to connect the "Ant" terminal the "Loc" t...MrFixr55 — 06:59 AM
What is the purpose/Function of the LOC terminal at the upper left of the schematic? I'm sure there is a good explanati...jjfritz5528 — 10:24 PM
For the filter caps, for the first rectifier cap my personal recommendation is High ripple electrolytics (Rubycon/Panaso...morzh — 08:16 PM
Mr. Fixr, you are right. I looked back at my notes, and it turns out that I did not use type Y caps on my model 49-906's...jrblasde — 06:31 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 2855 online users. [Complete List]
» 2 Member(s) | 2853 Guest(s)

>