Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help understanding a 89 radio rebuild new guy

This is not coming from my house. I used a battery powered modern radio with a Faris antenna.  This interference is everywhere within blocks of my house.  I live on a country road with no close neighbors. I can drive half a mile down the road, get out of the car and my test radio will start screaming if I get within 4 feet of the power Pole's ground wire.  I have to drive at least 3/4 a mile away to no longer here anything with my test radio. This also is a new development, not present weeks ago.  I discovered it after turning on this new project of mine. Now I have found that no AM broadcast radio will work in my vicinity if it is adjacent to electrical wiring.  That also includes blocks down the road from me.  I tried to use my test radio as RDF but this interference is not really in the air it's radiating from the hardware of the power company and you don't hear it if more that says 40 feet away.  I drove around yesterday quite a bit and determined that over a mile away the noise is basically gone.  I placed my battery radio next to a dozen different power poles around where I live a get a loud buzz.  One place is on the other side of the river my farm is on and about 1500 feet away.  It's an abandoned farmhouse but there is an active meter there that I guess is for a well pump for cattle.  My radio would scream when I went up on the porch of this empty house and at the porch light the radio got quiet loud.  Anyhow I'm about done with it, it's them, not me.  DS&O Electric is coming out tomorrow to find out what's happening.  I have a radio transmission line coming right up my driveway.  Thanks for the info on tracking down interference  sources.  I will be studying it tonight
What Chas says is about what the power company guy said to me today when I called them.  A recent lightning storm 2 weeks ago he said damaged several arresters . Well fingers ? crossed they will come right out, find it, and fix it.  I was having fun with my new hobby till I found that I can't practice it at my house.

Messages In This Thread
462ron - by 462ron - 09-01-2024, 07:49 AM
462ron - by 462ron - 09-02-2024, 07:04 AM
RE: Help understanding a 89 radio rebuild new guy - by Bruce B - 09-03-2024, 05:20 PM