Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring Philco 38-12 in a white wood cabinet

A snag I hit....

I was about to plug it in and measure the voltages, when I thought to check the field coil just in case.
"What if",- thought I, "the coil is open. Then the cap will charge and stay charged, and I will touch it after the turn off, and get zapped, and...."....and I measured the resistance, and it was open.
I am sure, it is doing that out of spite.
I went to my two donor chassis....one has a replacement speaker with different mount, for which there were two holes drilled, and the FC is 700 Ohms, and the other is 39-6, and the speaker has a different mount and no transformer.
Removing the transformer (which is good) was a drag: the tabs are either soldered, or something, but I had to grind one off.

All that work...
This is the cap after restuffing: this time I avoided direct contact of aluminum and copper, by putting the star washer in between, and then putting the copper pad under it.

And this is the chassis after the recap/recarb

Now I am off to the supermarket to buy some lamb and some carrots: my daughter (my wife is away for 2 weeks) asked for lamb pilaf, and her wish is my command...at least sometimes.
Will continue...

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Restoring Philco 38-12 in a white wood cabinet - by morzh - 4 hours ago

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Michael Katz - RadioGrilleCloth.com
Thanks Michael! I can't be there but hope many others are able to take advantage of the grill cloth availability.klondike98 — 04:05 PM
Help understanding a 89 radio rebuild new guy
Living in Florida I enjoy the power outages from storms. The radio reception is wonderful. Things to look at a touch lam...David — 12:50 PM
Emerson question
If the antenna coil is open, this may also be the reason for the ability to pick up the same station on 2 different poin...MrFixr55 — 11:57 AM
Restoring Philco 38-12 in a white wood cabinet
A snag I hit.... I was about to plug it in and measure the voltages, when I thought to check the field coil just in cas...morzh — 11:29 AM
Emerson question
Mike is right. The only parts between the grid cap and the antenna are the band switch and the antenna coil. One or both...RodB — 08:15 AM
Help understanding a 89 radio rebuild new guy
Well the utility company came and listened. Then worked for about 3 hours around the area trying to figure it out but c...Bruce B — 09:33 PM
1953 Music Masters 620-9 Australian Radio Restore
David Tipton from Australia sent ol'[ Buzz a radio to restore. part 1 is now up loaded  link below Buzz — 01:01 PM
This is cool! A digital replacement of 6U5 magic eye tube.
Not Philcos, no... Westinghouses, Zeniths, E.H. Scotts and such....morzh — 12:29 PM
Emerson question
It is possible that the antenna coil is open. It is also a known effect that the cap of the pentagrid, if touched, will...morzh — 12:26 PM
Emerson question
I am working on an Emerson 131am and was wondering why someone has attached a wire to the 6A7 tube grid cap. It appea...Phil27 — 12:18 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 2885 online users. [Complete List]
» 1 Member(s) | 2884 Guest(s)

>