Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

AC/DC Transformer-less Sets

I never knew that they made a movie on the "Current Wars".  Of course, when they flash the message "Based on a True Story" on the screen, it's time to get out the BS Detector.

Yes, the Columbia Exposition was almost completely lit up by Westinghouse, even using their own version of incandescent bulb, as Edison refused to sell bulbs, and threatened patent infringement suits over the bulb that Westinghouse used.  Westinghouse demonstrated commercial multiphase induction motors, power transmission equipment and even rotary convertors that would generate DC, adding compatibility to established DC systems.

The Columbia Exposition was a commercial success.  I fondly remember going to the NY World's Fair with my parents, grandparents and my 5 brothers and sisters.  I fondly remember the Vatican and Ford pavilions, GE's Circle of Progress and "It's a Small World" (Still in existence at Disney Land and / or World, the giant Goodyear Oops, the US Rubber Uniroyal Tire Ferris Wheel, the Lego playground at the pavilion for one of the Scandanavian pavilions.  Each pavilion had an RCA Color TV, which, among other things, displayed the pictures of any kids that got lost, which were brought to the RCA Pavilion by the police and security.  Of course, one of my brothers had to get lost on purpose so he could be on TV.  The Unisphere and remnants of the New York Pavilion including 3 towers that figured in the movie "Men in Black" still stand, although these towers are skeletons, in very poor shape.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Messages In This Thread
AC/DC Transformer-less Sets - by PeterN - 09-26-2024, 06:35 PM
RE: AC/DC Transformer-less Sets - by morzh - 09-26-2024, 08:01 PM
RE: AC/DC Transformer-less Sets - by jrblasde - 09-26-2024, 10:11 PM
RE: AC/DC Transformer-less Sets - by PeterN - 09-26-2024, 10:30 PM
RE: AC/DC Transformer-less Sets - by jrblasde - 09-27-2024, 08:38 AM
RE: AC/DC Transformer-less Sets - by MrFixr55 - 09-27-2024, 09:39 AM
RE: AC/DC Transformer-less Sets - by jrblasde - 09-27-2024, 01:21 PM
RE: AC/DC Transformer-less Sets - by PeterN - 09-27-2024, 03:32 PM