Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Factory installed? Philco 89 Chassis in a Philco 35 Cabinet

nuke Wrote:Don't forget this was in the depths of the Depression. Rather than take a loss, I'm sure that leftover chassis could be put in leftover cabinets at the end of production runs just to use them up. After all cabinets did get damaged so I'm sure there were mismatched stock.

That's just it, why would they have leftover cabinets at all, when you have an inside cabinet shop you can pretty much make the cabinets to order as you need them, if you had 300 model 89Bs going down the line that day then they would have the cabinet plant supply 300 cabinets. If it was an outside cabinet supplier then it would have been more common for there to be surplus cabinets as they would have a longer lead time on ordering cabinets; they would guess how many they would need for a given week or month and if sales fell short they would end up with extras. In the case of the 32Bs it would never have been a high production set compared to the model 89 so it would be more likely for them to have leftover 89 cabinets since they were producing more to start with. Maybe they overestimated the popularity of the 32B and had to many cabinets built but I'm also thinking that this was a factory screw up, somebody grabbed a model 89 chassis and put it in a model 32 cabinet, since the model 32 used the same chassis minus the power transformer.
Regards
Arran