Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another newbie starts his first Philco a model (41-250)

Hi Joe,
Welcome to the Phorum!!!!
Been a ham for a while?? Got my ticket back in '88. Thought we might be able to fix this old guy over the airwaves ( I don't touch type) but I see on qrz that that won't be possible.
I think I would just start with some basic tests. Turn it on let it warm up. Touch the wiper connection of the volume with your tip of your finger. If things from the volume to the speaker are working you will hear a loud buzz. Please don't do this if you don't know where the wiper is. I'm not trying to be condescending but I don't know how much you know about tube circuits and HV. I don't want you to get hurt fooling with this thing.

Next would be using a signal generator to generate a signal at the IF frequency. This will tell you if the detector and IF stages are OK
Then would tune the generator up to the BC band and see if I could get a signal though the front end.
Sometimes it's easier to try to isolate the stage that isn't working and then start looking at the voltage around that stage rather that looking at all the voltages to try and figure what isn't working that will cause the voltages to be off.
I'm going take alook and see if I can find another copy of the diagram. The online one is pretty hard to read.
Terry N3GTE

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread