Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Peaktop 16B---needs Work

Here is the proper color scheme for a 16B tombstone, whether "peaked" or somewhat flat on top:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/16b_jlda.jpg]

The dark toner on this cabinet was badly worn, but the walnut panels were basically OK other than being scratched up a bit. The dark color that was left on the cabinet closely matched the Mohawk Van Dyke Brown toner, so that is what I used. I rubbed the cabinet down, masked off the walnut panels, the accent stripes, and the center strip where the PHILCO decal is, and sprayed several coats of new Van Dyke Brown over the cabinet. The "in process" result is shown above. In this photo, the toner has been applied and the cabinet is basically ready for clear lacquer. After I snapped this photo, I carefully sprayed two light coats of toner over the center strip once I saw it was lighter than the rest (you can see how it is lighter above).

The entire set received several coats of clear lacquer after the toner, which renewed the look of the walnut panels and made the entire cabinet look like new. Unfortunately I never did take an "after" shot, but the end result turned out quite well. It still has the original walnut toning on the panels, the original accent striping, and the original PHILCO decal. It was better than completely stripping the cabinet and starting over from scratch.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Peaktop 16B---needs Work - by Guest - 05-12-2006, 10:02 PM
[No subject] - by 49Stude63 - 05-17-2006, 12:57 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 10-09-2006, 09:30 AM
[No subject] - by Guest - 10-09-2006, 10:30 AM
[No subject] - by ckc - 09-04-2007, 10:28 AM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 09-09-2007, 09:47 AM