Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Molded paper capacitors

Chuck,

I spent some time rummaging around the component section of your site. I think the rectangular components I thought might be micamold paper caps are probably mica caps of body style 6 with pf values and RMA color code.

I traced a few of them down in the schematic as best I could, and they all corresponded to a cap with a pf value that matched the dot pattern.

Then I unsoldered a few and measured the capacitance. The results were not encouraging. Most had values very different from the dot pattern, so I think I'll be replacing them.

While I was looking, I looked over some caps that were similar but lighter colored, reddish instead of brown. Some have a six dot code and some have three. At least some are microfarad range caps that look similar to, but not exactly like, some of the other body types on your mica cap page. Two of them had "MFD" and "Type 2" stamped on the body near the 3 dots. I might need to puzzle the values out from your table or else find them on the schematic.

I had been hoping that I could leave the micas alone, but after I read some old posts on the subject, I guess I'll replace them, too.

The radio plays well and is sensitive on all bands, so I might take my time getting to this chore. With replacing rubber wires and figuring out what to do with an open push-button coil, I have plenty to keep me busy!

Thanks for your help.

John Honeycutt

Messages In This Thread
Molded paper capacitors - by Raleigh - 06-20-2007, 12:24 PM
[No subject] - by Chuck Schwark - 06-20-2007, 12:40 PM
[No subject] - by Raleigh - 06-20-2007, 12:56 PM
[No subject] - by Raleigh - 06-20-2007, 10:50 PM
[No subject] - by Poston Drake - 07-02-2007, 09:16 PM