Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Canadian made 25-40 cycle A.C. Philco Radios

Hello Ron, I figure Canada must be on 60 cycles AC now also!! After checking the orig 25-40 cycle orig power-trans on this Canadian made Philco, it is "fryed". I bought Canadian 37-09 cheap (same cab as US 37-8 model), full shadowmeter assy fits perfectly into my retro-fit project (37-610B) cabinet, but will have to sub a new modern PM type spkr instead of orig Philco spkr. The shadowmeter takes up too much room for orig spkr to fit over the top w/ shadowmeter assy in place inside 37-610B cab. Will have to retrofit a new spkr "baffle-board" to use a smaller pm spkr, and sub a wirewound resistor for old field-coil resistance. Will also have to mount the orig Philco spkr trans where it will fit. My orig 37-630 (6-tube) chassis w/ 3-gang tuner, should make this a great receiver if everything works out. Talk about a "retrofit" from H_ L, this is a "doozy"!! At least I am trying to save Philcos that would have been tossed otherwise!! I figure Canada must be on 60 cycles AC by now also!! No wonder if the seller plugged it in to make his eBay post, it took-out the orig pwr-trans. Funny the seller didnt mention "anything" about "smell" in his eBay listing!! (hee hee) Oh well, I got a shadowmeter escutcheon out of the deal. Those are hard to find. Nice 37-8 (US type cab), and a blown 25-40 cycle trans to-boot!! I may put another Philco (US 60 cycle) ac trans on it, and rebuild it also someday. Randal

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 08-01-2007, 09:37 PM
[No subject] - by Guest - 08-22-2007, 06:06 PM
25 cycle Atwater kent - by Guest - 09-14-2007, 09:06 PM