Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Not Restored as Indicated in Ad

Sorry about your trouble. Yes its amazing how those old radios "know" when something isn't connected properly. Icon_lol
This appears to be an AC/DC set (no transformer). I would check all the electrolytes to be sure they are alright, you probably let the smoke out of the one with the reversed polarity. Make sure you disconnected the old caps. You don't have to remove from chassis but they need to be disconnected. I would then check or replace all tubes if no tube checker or other radio to do so, at least check across the heaters for continuity. Look for a resistor that got to hot.

I did the same thing once on a transformer set and smoked the transformer.
On your set it probably got a tube or resistor as well as the original problem, the cap you connected wrong.
Do some voltage checks starting with the rectifier tube. You will need a schematic if you don't already have one. Take the dog for a walk before starting and turn your phone off. Always reconnect what ever you've disconnected before leaving your work and returning. Draw pictures and take notes. They will help out later. Believe me I am talking from experience. If you feel as if your not making any headway leave the radio and come back later. There are others here with more experience then I. They will chime in. GOOD LUCK!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco Not Restored as Indicated in Ad - by FXpert - 12-27-2012, 06:19 AM