Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Question About Wards Airline Radio

Does this have a crescent shaped or half moon dial? I have a cabinet for an Airline tombstone of about the same vintage. 1933 is pretty late production for a set employing a pair of #45s for power output tubes, most had switched to using a single ended #47 by then, others used 2A3s, 2A5s, or like Philco had started switching over to the 6.3 volt tubes. I guess since it was a department store private label radio they decided to use up a stock of older type tubes to keep the costs down, the 56s and 58s were fairly current and were very much an improvement over the earlier 2.5 volt tubes that are normally paired up with 45s.
You are right about Stein's pre war console book, his other books aren't much better for anything other then pictures. The books are full of stupid mistakes like tubes counts, model year, and the number of bands a set had. Many of the errors could have easily been avoided simply by flipping through the Riders (or RCC manuals with the Canadian made sets). The comment about Philco radios being of poor quality smacks of sheer ignorance, but then again he wasn't a collector or historian he was an antique dealer.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question About Wards Airline Radio - by Arran - 01-08-2013, 01:23 AM
RE: Question About Wards Airline Radio - by Arran - 01-08-2013, 10:02 PM

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Correct model 84 Ac plug an cord type
From what I read Philco went to using brown rubber power cords in 1936, so cloth was used in the 1935 and earlier models...Arran — 11:25 PM
Hi Bruce, I have not worked on an 84, but in general, power cords for almost any radio prior to 1938 was cloth covered...MrFixr55 — 08:34 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
OK, well, so after staring at the sch again, I realized the problem had to be the #12/12A padder. I put a scope on the o...morzh — 08:15 PM
Hello Bruce, I mostly use brown far as my cloth powercords go ! Here is the plug that I have used bakelite Acorn style...radiorich — 08:05 PM
Looking for as correct as can find the right Ac plug an the correct colored cloth line. Ive seen many old photos but mos...Bruce — 04:13 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Rod Two Y-caps make sense if you use them from L/N to the chassis; this is only makes sense in the transformer radios...morzh — 10:11 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Mike, I'm curious about a specific use of he Y cap. Lately I've seen a single cap across the power transformer primary. ...RodB — 09:01 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
hello morzh , That sounds like a plan ! Sincerely Richardradiorich — 07:45 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Richard, It helped some, but I still had the whining when engaging the rear power strip (I did not realize it was fro...morzh — 07:07 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Hello morzh, Yes , that dreaded hum in my room where i do alighment I have my cable modem and router plus desktop plus ...radiorich — 11:25 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 4097 online users. [Complete List]
» 1 Member(s) | 4096 Guest(s)

>