Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Late Model 60 sensitivity/bandwith when tuning

I used a signal generator this morning and peaked the IF's at 460kc. My generator is accurate and i have a frequency counter to check. The Riders instructions are not clear. It just mentions the IF compensator locations and the high and low frequency compensators. No other instructions, so I put the signal through the antenna and ground connection as I have read and have done for most other alignments that have detailed instructions.

After peaking, there was still a good bit of oscillation as I tuned across the dial. The stations come in strong, but it still has what I would call a wide bandwidth, hearing the desired frequency about 30kc before and after the desired frequency. The signal/sound is very good when you get right to the station frequency, it is just that you can still hear it on either side more than I am used to on other radios I have aligned.

I then decided to detune the IF's just a bit and it helped a lot (acted like a regen set). The oscillation lowered quite a bit. Now I am only getting an oscillation at the lowest frequencies, 570 and 660. If I tune carefully, there is no oscillation on the station, it is only if I am slightly on either side of the station frequency.

All other stations above the low frequency ones work well and it is a big more selective as well now. I did change all resistors already and caps. I used it a few hours today and it played well except for the above.

Maybe this is normal for this set? Maybe i am too picky?

Messages In This Thread