Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Huge Mica Capacitor 42-350

Thanks for the quick response, Ron. I did replace the cap with a mica I had on hand, as you suggested.

I am inclined to think that the type 1 cap is original, partly because the whole chassis looks untouched. Even the filter caps and the AC cord look original.

Just to have a little fun with "philco phorensics," here are some other reasons I think it might be original.

--The location would make it difficult to get to without disturbing several other wires and components, so I would think a repair person might cut it out and locate it more accessibly.

--One lead wire from the capacitor runs around pin 4 of the tube socket, around the center pin of the socket, and over to the ground pin of the nearby terminal strip. I think a repair person would be less likely to unsolder and replace that whole lead wire than to cut the cap out and replace it on pin 4.

--Finally, the capacitor leads are the lower ones (with the chassis upside down) on all the terminals they go around and tie to, as if they were put there first.

By the way, Ron, I can't say enough how much I appreciate that you take so much trouble to look all this stuff up when you reply to all of our many questions. You and Chuck, both.

John Honeycutt

Messages In This Thread
Huge Mica Capacitor 42-350 - by Raleigh - 12-30-2007, 06:14 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 12-31-2007, 12:11 AM
[No subject] - by Raleigh - 01-01-2008, 01:16 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 01-04-2008, 09:11 PM