Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2013 Season

Well, since my last post on this subject I have been very busy stripping the 42-22CL and 37-610T, trying to strip some more of the white paint from the 41-KR (with little success), and then concentrating on the 38-2670B, 42-22CL and 610T cabinets.

Last night, I had the 38-2670B ready for sanding sealer so I applied that. Today, it received grain filler. If all goes well, tomorrow, the lacquering begins on it.

Also today, I tried the iron and wet rag trick on the 42-22CL. It did help somewhat, but there were still some indentations that had to be filled. Once that was done, this cabinet received two coats of sanding sealer. It's going to be a nice one!

Finally, the 610T...I glued the cabinet in two places where the front panel had separated from the top/side, and glued down two loose pieces of veneer on the front panel using an old iron to speed things along. This is an old trick I learned from John "Hagstar" Hagman. After the glue had mostly dried, I filled those numerous small indentations on the front panel with wood filler. Finally this cabinet, too, received two coats of sanding sealer. The sanding sealer revealed some nice-looking wood on the 610T front panel, in spite of the filled indentations. This one should look pretty good once it is finished.

Now, the 42-22CL and 610T cabinets are ready for grain filler.

The 39-330AT and 41-246 cabinets need some veneer repair. I'm holding off on the 37-610T cabinet for now until I have a chance to see how well those poor patches are glued into place.

I'm wondering if I should find a way to soak the 41-KR in some sort of stripper. Even straight acetone is taking a long time to cut through this mess. It looks like Philco used a dozen or more heavy and thick coats of white paint on this thing.

Sorry, no photos. I was too busy working on the cabinets to stop and get the camera.

Oh, I forgot to mention the 39-770. The lacquer on this set is thick! So thick that the razor blade I was trying to use to scrape the top isn't cutting through this stuff. I was able to remove the lacquer in the water damaged areas, but nowhere else.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ron's Cabinet Work for the 2013 Season - by Ron Ramirez - 05-25-2013, 09:01 PM