Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1948 Philco album length phonograph

No, 70-80 record players, the HiFi types, whether direct or belt drives, won't fit if only for the reason that their turntables are the size of a LP vinyl and if you look at yours the vinyl is almost the size of your cabinet from front to back. You could try to fit a tonearm from a modern one onto that player but it is a serious project and in my opinion ain't worth it. Also the drive is probably crappy so no matter how good the tonearm and the pickup are, the drive alone will kill all the advantages.

And in the end it will still look like a cheap Chinese crap.

Maybe you could find an old player cabinet of a good size. Then it might work.

But IMHO....tell you that, milk is for babies...that is everything is good in its place. An old radio is good by itself, its miracle is that century old technology that still is working today and the magic of bringing it back to life. You know, that old beautiful floor model that you open up and play an AM station or put an old 78 RPM disk and listen to a 80-year-old Rio-Rita or La Cumparsita recording.
Not to argue about tastes but I fail to see how converting an old radio to an internet device makes sense; certainly would not excite me.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 1948 Philco album length phonograph - by morzh - 06-30-2013, 10:42 AM