Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 96 Restoration Info

After removing the screws and looking at the condenser can and wires, it seemed unlikely to unsolder the wires from between the can and can base. Looking at the wire connections from the bottom of the chassis, where the wires are looped and soldered on the base, it looked easier to snip the wires, leaving a short end to hold with needle nose pliers in order to heat and remove these short ends. This is what I did, but that solder must require a higher temperature or more heat than the Weller I have provides.

The can does appear to have a paper liner, perhaps it will not be too difficult to remove the old capacitors and pitch.

Other than a few dead worms, dust and dirt, the inside of the chassis looks good, as do the components inside. I think I'll just clean it all up, leaving the finish as is. It's tarnished with only a few spots of rust, but otherwise it looks uniform.

I have sent Mr. Swark a check for his packet, which seems a very worthwhile thing to have. When I have it, I'll order capacitors. I'd appreciate suggestions for other parts that should be routinely replaced, other than parts I should check, such as resistors?

After reading that the Model 296 was similar to the Model 96, except that it included a turntable, I looked on the Model 296 schematic for a connection to the turntable. I would like to modify the radio if advisable, by discretely adding an RCA jack and selector switch on the back of the chassis for a turntable or perhaps a CD player if it is easily possible to match the output from these to the part of the circuit that had the original turntable input. I have reworked a few turntables for 78s, and could add a preamp to one of these.

Thanks again for the gracious welcome and suggestions.

Messages In This Thread
Philco Model 96 Restoration Info - by TN Allen - 08-28-2013, 12:04 PM
RE: Philco Model 96 Restoration Info - by Eric T - 08-28-2013, 08:21 PM
RE: Philco Model 96 Restoration Info - by Jamie - 08-29-2013, 05:50 AM
RE: Philco Model 96 Restoration Info - by TN Allen - 08-31-2013, 10:33 AM
RE: Philco Model 96 Restoration Info - by Jamie - 09-15-2013, 11:52 AM
RE: Philco Model 96 Restoration Info - by sam - 09-15-2013, 12:04 PM
RE: Philco Model 96 Restoration Info - by sam - 01-15-2015, 12:55 PM