Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1941 Philco push button on/off switches

Bill

Lowe's sells a pushbutton switch that looks identical to the original part, but I haven't tried it yet since it requires partial disassembly of the new part in order to try it.

In the meantime, I have used a small push on-push off switch from Radio Shack. The part number is 275-1555. It is SPDT, so there are three terminals in the back; you will only use two and must insulate the third. It's rated at 3 amps @ 125V, enough for the average 1941 Philco.

Link to the switch specs:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index....age=search

Remove the original switch from the pushbutton assembly by grinding, filing or drilling out the two rivets which hold it in place. This exposes a round hole, through which the switch actuator must fit.

How I used it: I popped the plastic button off of the new switch, exposing the small switch actuator inside. I used the threaded collar and attached it to the frame of the pushbutton assembly, where the hole is at the place the original switch had been mounted. To do this, I soldered it to the assembly, but not completely around the collar. In two spots I applied J-B Weld; my reasoning was that if the solder failed, the J-B Weld would hold, and vice versa.

Once the J-B Weld dries, carefully thread the switch into the collar. You will need to reduce the length of the switch actuator a bit; determine how much by partially threading the switch into the collar and operate the OFF-ON button. When you can operate the original OFF-ON button correctly, the actuator is the correct length. Don't cut off too much! The actuator is tapered where the plastic button fit over it, then it goes back to a larger diameter. You'll see what I mean when you pop the plastic button off. I cut it back to the end of the taper (around 1/8" to 3/16"). Sorry I don't have any photos; I know that would help in this instance.

The metal of the original OFF-ON pushbutton arm is bent 90 degrees on the inside end, and will press against the new switch, allowing it to actuate.

You can use Thread-Lock or similar substance to lock the threads in place on the collar if you wish. When you're done, your OFF-ON pushbutton will operate as normal.

A better solution would be to look for an SPST switch such as this one from Mouser, Allied or Digi-Key. But this one worked for me.

One of these days I'll try out the Lowe's switch. I did buy one...but found it much easier to just use the Rat Shack switch instead.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 11-21-2005, 11:50 PM
[No subject] - by Bill Hutchinson - 11-22-2005, 07:05 PM
Success! - by Raleigh - 06-13-2007, 05:23 PM
[No subject] - by rickd - 06-16-2008, 02:22 PM
[No subject] - by Chuck Schwark - 06-16-2008, 03:08 PM
[No subject] - by rickd - 06-16-2008, 04:07 PM