Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 70 Pot replacement

Dear All,

I`m finishing the restoration of 3 Philcos 70 with the lower numbers chassis. For all of them, I rewound the primary of the oscillator coil, replaced all internal caps of the block and metal case condensers, re-stuffed the electrolytics, and replaced the tone control cap. For two of them the pots were still OK, and the radios are playing great after the alignment. However, for the third one, the original pot was bad and I bought a 5K 4W wirewound pot from ebay (they come from China) to replace the original. I put a 220 ohms 2W resistor between F and G (see schematics at http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013833.pdf) and connected the RF cathode to F. The 5k pot connections I kept according to the original schematics. A former owner replaced the 250 ohms DC choke to a 150 ohms DC one. The new electrolytics are 10 µF.
It worked, but the sound is very low only at the end of the pot. Is there alternative connections that will get the radio back to the right track?

Thank you.
Kadulazarini

Messages In This Thread
Philco 70 Pot replacement - by kadulazarini - 10-27-2013, 01:43 PM
RE: Philco 70 Pot replacement - by morzh - 10-27-2013, 03:27 PM
RE: Philco 70 Pot replacement - by kadulazarini - 10-27-2013, 07:22 PM
RE: Philco 70 Pot replacement - by morzh - 10-29-2013, 04:07 PM

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
PT-6 antenna connections
Notice in the schematic the notch at the bottom of the antenna coil is between pins 3 & 4. Yes, pin 6 of the 7C6 is...RodB — 07:34 PM
bridkarl
I have two PT-6 chassis. On both there is a blue wire that runs from the above chassis transformer to pin 6 of 7C6. So t...bridkarl — 07:23 PM
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
Joseph, now you are an engineer!!RodB — 06:37 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
Hi, reading your explanation I can see the confusion. If you take it one connection at a time it should result in a desi...RodB — 06:34 PM
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
It works! I received the PCBs this morning in the mail, and put everything together. I reused the base from the original...jrblasde — 04:32 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
I seem to have lost my way on this PT-6. I see the antenna aerial transformer schematic - I’m reading pins 1 through ...bridkarl — 12:30 PM
40-150 General questions
Good thing you're a good electrician ... the pictures show a lot of rewiring in your future! Take care and BE HEALTHY!...GarySP — 11:52 AM
40-150 General questions
I think RobB has it right. It is a part number and looks like its stamped on the chassis and that wasn't something you ...klondike98 — 11:41 AM
40-150 General questions
It's most likely a part number. Most of Philco part numbers are in that format. I looked at the parts list for this mode...RodB — 08:10 AM
40-150 General questions
Hi Kevin, No, I don't but I like your Quote about being a good electrician. The way I look at it is "The fact ...MrFixr55 — 08:06 AM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 2721 online users. [Complete List]
» 4 Member(s) | 2717 Guest(s)

>