Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-62 - can't get the one station I want to hear!

Hey, trying to help a little and I know this is a bit confusing for someone new to this. Seems there are two possibilities for your problem. One a bad oscillator the second some short problem in your tuner. I'm posting a picture of a tuner that I have open to see if I can help. This tuner is much larger than yours from a much earlier radio. You will not see the moving plates on this as I had to tear it apart, removing the rotating vanes as the bearings were froze. The moving vanes are tied to the frame (ground) the stationary ones there are isolated from ground. Note the four adjustable mica trimmers, one on each of the tuning gangs? You have those as well on your radio but not as many. Lucky you. The might not look just like yours but essentially the same. Each of those trimmer have a wire going to them. On the other "end" of them they are attached to the stationary gang associated with it. A good connection would be the adjusting screw of the trimmer as it goes to that stationary set of plates.
Just hook one lead of your meter to the frame of the tuning cap and the other to each screw and rotate the tuning cap looking for a short. Do it on each of them.
Hope it helps.
Oh fudge, nope connect your meter to the the ground and to the wire going in to your trimmer cap. Must have had a brain fart. Sorry, happens often and much easier and right to do it that way. The right way.

Jerry

[Image: http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129...tuner3.jpg]

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 38-62 - can't get the one station I want to hear! - by jerryhawthorne - 01-26-2014, 07:02 PM