Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 513- to restore or not to restore

That is the question!
I've had my Labrador Gray 513 for about three years now and she is a favorite Philco in my collection. It has the matching speaker as well as an aftermarket metal stand in the same color scheme as the radio. It is also completely original, apart from the shredded speaker cloth that I replaced after I got the set, it has never had any repair work done to it and even came with a complete set of balloon shaped Cunningham tubes. It also has a low serial number of 002042 which I believe is pretty early.
Right now, I'm on the fence. I would love to restore it to working condition, but on the other hand it is so original that I kind of feel funny about restoring it electrically. I know that the speaker would have to be gutted and replaced with a modern pm type speaker as the original one is unusable mechanically.
So, I guess my question is how would this radio be best served. Restore it to playing condition or to just respect it's originality and leave it unaltered as a "Shelf Queen"?
you guys might think I'm nuts ( and maybe I am?!!) but any thoughts on my dilemma would be appreciated, thanks!
Kevin

Messages In This Thread
Philco 513- to restore or not to restore - by 37silverstreak - 01-28-2014, 08:01 PM

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Jackson 665 j2 schematic request
FIXED!daveone23 — 03:55 PM
Bakelite crack repair - what is best epoxy?
Thanks everyone. I appreciate you sharing your experience and looks like I'll work with the 24 hr two part clear epoxy....de371 — 10:25 PM
Without a schematic its going to be hard tracing the wire wound spool resistors.daveone23 — 05:21 PM
Looking for a schematic for the 665 j2 multimeter.daveone23 — 04:42 PM
Looking for place to donate unique Philco Philco J-1930 Prototype
>>I'll write to the Henry Ford. I heard, his secretary answers his mail, not he himself.morzh — 12:15 PM
Philco 48-200 alignment questions
Just checked the power cord and I did in fact wire it so the hot side (small prong) goes to the switch.transitony — 11:52 AM
Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll write to the Henry Ford.   That would certainly make sense since by the time this prod...jeibner — 11:49 AM
For what it's worth, the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan may be an option. The obvious ...GarySP — 11:39 AM
Help with Readrite 410 tube tester
Mike and I just had a short discussion yesterday about this very subject. So often it's the connections. Ya gotta have t...RodB — 10:08 AM
We have a regional museum here in the Twin Cities called The Pavek Museum. They have an extensive collection of communic...RodB — 09:30 AM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 2827 online users. [Complete List]
» 1 Member(s) | 2826 Guest(s)

>