Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What's your most annoying repair you commonly see?

...yeah Terry,... guess Im just "lazy" (impatient)... when it comes to those old bakelight condenser rebuilds! Since those type orig cap bodies are already in place anyways, might as well use them, especially when space constraints are at a max! I usually just get the old bakelight housings out of the way, and add a terminal-strip in place of them to make necessary connections.
Sure aint nothin wrong with rebuilding the orig's either!! I can understand "originality" to a certain point, then it gets rediculous after a point ( just my .02) which means nothing anyways. I cant imagine any future "buyer" of a restored Philco Mod 90 asking: well, did the tech rebuild the orig bakelight condensers?.. if not, Im not interested? (hee hee)
Now when it comes to fine-rare- high quality vintage musical instruments items like a (IE) vintage all orig 1957 Fender Stratocaster guitars/ with orig cases, I can see the importance of looking closely at total-originality! Those type vintage musical-inst items sell now for over $45,000.00 each these days!! Ive sold a couple all orig Leo Fender 57 Strats (made at the Fullerton Ca factory), as well as several nice early 50s vintage Fender tube amps in the past (for very high $$ to collectors), but wish I had hung on to them a few more yrs instead! Collectors of those items actually want the bolt-on necks/ pickups removed, to see the actual dates of production pencil marks from the factory! I just dont see that type thing happening to vintage radios produced in much mass quantities in comparison. I may be wrong though!! In comparison, I can see "why" the Atwater Kent early breadboard models sell for high prices, as many didnt survive, and relative small amts were orig made of each model. But even those dont command the high $$ figures as vintage musical instruments do. Hopefully, someday, the Philco 90s will reach those demands among collectors?,.. so all-in-all, it is probably a good idea to re-stuff the orig- caps just in case prices go up on them!!??? Just a thought. Im a real-bad shoemaker, but I do have some nice vintage radios fully restored. I really enjoy the hobby!! Icon_wink

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Doug Houston - 07-29-2008, 03:54 PM
[No subject] - by Terry Judkins - 07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 08-07-2008, 11:04 PM
[No subject] - by Terry Judkins - 08-08-2008, 07:46 AM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 08-09-2008, 12:44 AM
[No subject] - by Doug Houston - 08-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Cap blocks removed - by AI2V - 08-17-2008, 05:10 PM