Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need bakelite cabinet polishing tips

Thanks guys for your suggestions.

I decided to try the automotive cleaning/polishing/waxing materials I had on hand. Didn't have any Excalibur (Excaliber?) though, so used several things to experiment with.

I started off using Meguiar's Deep Crystal System products in their 3-step process.

Step 1: Cleaner - This did a pretty good job of removing the body oils, cigarette smoke and whatever that accumulated on the cabinet. But, it does take a lot of rubbing. If you use it, don't let it dry to a haze, as I did. Just rub it on with a swirling motion to one surface of the case at a time and immediately buff it off with a hand towel while it's still damp. Otherwise it is tough to get rubbed out. A possible alternative to this product would be automotive body rubbing compound (fine grit - the white stuff, probably not the coarser red stuff).

Step 2: Polish - I couldn't see any benefit of using this product as it didn't seem to add any appreciable luster to the bakelite.

Step 3: Wax (liquid) - I wasn't satisfied with my results with Meguiar's liquid wax; so I switched over to Harly automotive paste wax and got much better (and acceptable results). (Yeah, Chuck, I know I didn't listen to you very well, did I?)

I hope this is of some help to others.

Has anyone tried polishing bakelite with a motorized buffing pad? It seems to me that, if the speed isn't too high, this would be better than hand rubbing and much faster.

Jim

Messages In This Thread
Need bakelite cabinet polishing tips - by Guest - 08-14-2008, 09:01 PM
[No subject] - by Chuck Schwark - 08-14-2008, 09:43 PM
Re: Need bakelite cabinet polishing tips - by Syl - 08-14-2008, 10:03 PM
[No subject] - by Guest - 08-16-2008, 02:21 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 08-16-2008, 11:47 PM
[No subject] - by Guest - 08-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Re: Need bakelite cabinet polishing tips - by Guest - 01-08-2009, 12:10 PM