Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

49-501 Before & After

Well, so much for my hubris, pictures and all. When I first started my troubleshooting, I couldn't get ANYTHING out the blamed thing...or so I thought. Getting all kinds of icky sounds from wiggling the 7A8 converter in its socket, I switched tubes..I had the foresight to order some extra Loktals from my cap order(I SURE don't collect the d**ned things!!). Some tubes won't work in some sockets!
OK, I could get RF off the end of my finger through it. The new filters are so quiet, you can't hear the 50A5 chatting!
I went to bed thinking about my troubleshoot and realized the next morning....I didn't hear the OSCILLATOR!!
So I go back to looking close at the oscillator section, hoping I had cold-slobbered something. NAHHH, I'm NOT a newby to the slobbering iron!
Back to my trusty Fluke 175....UH,OHHH, the primary of the O coil says infinity between the ends!
Thankful foresight!! I had bought another 49-501 with a broken cab for parts. The parts chassis sure is gonna miss it's oscillator coil!
The easiest part was getting the old one out, no de-slobbering, just careful use of needle-nose pliers.
I have the "new " O coil out without killing it! BREAK TIME!! The lead that goes to ground is too short now, but hopefully, I will still have a crumb or two of beeswax on it when finished. Then on to alignment, re-assembly, and a place of honor to sit for it.

Steve McDonald

Messages In This Thread
49-501 Before & After - by tubenutt - 08-21-2008, 09:42 AM
[No subject] - by BDM - 08-22-2008, 12:54 PM
[No subject] - by tubenutt - 08-23-2008, 05:42 PM
[No subject] - by Texasrocker - 08-23-2008, 10:44 PM
[No subject] - by tubenutt - 08-23-2008, 11:19 PM