Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-380X Reception problems

Gentlemen:

Please forgive my poor choice of words, "controls" I know how they work and what they do in that I have been restoring this radio for about a month. The components I am referring to are the presets in the back and the trimmers on the top right side of the chassis.

The presets on the back, I have trimmed them and they improved their station response somewhat but not all together. But above the preset screws there are other screws, smaller in size and brass in color, what are they for and how does one reset the presets?

The trimmers on the top right side as you indicated are trimmers or compensator's. I have never tuned a radio before but have a signal generator in good operating condition. I don't know how to use the generator, I've read the manual but still do not understand it's operation and where you attach the leads to interject he signal.

Finally, the tubes generally are good with the exception of the two 41 tubes which tested out as poor or 30% and 40% respectively. Could the issue be these two tubes? Ron I did not realize the importance of it's antenna, which I have, I thought the 20' one wold be superior, I will hook it up and try again.

The one thing I would really like to accomplish is tuning it, if someone is willing to allow me to call them I'll call them and invest the time where perhaps you can talk me through the process, I have a military SG 85C/URM-25D signal generator. Thanks again, I appreciate all your help

Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again

Messages In This Thread
Philco 42-380X Reception problems - by David B - 09-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Re: Philco 42-380X Reception problems - by David B - 09-14-2008, 03:22 PM