Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cutting electrolytic cans open

I cut mine open in a similar manner to the technique Ed mentioned, only I use a Dremel tool with a flat cut-off wheel instead of a hacksaw.

I replace the original aluminum positive electrode with a piece of 12 gauge copper wire, with black electrical tape wrapped around it; just enough so that it fits snugly in the hole where the old rubber used to be. Then seal that in place on the inside. I remove the solder terminal that is crimped on to the aluminum electrode on the outside of the can (this is difficult, but can be done with patience and a bit of luck) and attach it to the copper wire on the outside (EDIT: I not only re-crimp it to the copper, but also solder it to ensure a solid electrical connection). I solder the positive terminal of the new electrolytic on the inside end of the copper wire. The negative lead is extended if necessary with a bit of wire, and run through the bottom of the can by drilling a hole in it.

I've been meaning to take pictures of my technique, but my digital camera does not do so well on close-ups.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Cutting electrolytic cans open - by BDM - 09-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Re: Cutting electrolytic cans open - by etech - 09-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Re: Cutting electrolytic cans open - by BDM - 09-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Re: Cutting electrolytic cans open - by Ron Ramirez - 09-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Re: Cutting electrolytic cans open - by etech - 09-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Re: Cutting electrolytic cans open - by BDM - 09-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Re: Cutting electrolytic cans open - by mandh - 09-22-2008, 06:32 AM