Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 44 - circuit and parts

A bit of an update - I'm making progress!! Icon_smile

I'm slowly tracing the entire circuit of the radio, reinstalling some of the rebuilt bakelite blocks, reconnecting wiring to them. I have two more blocks coming to me to restuff so I can restore the underside of the chassis to its original state. The only parts I still need are the safety capacitors for the line bypass.

I also have a bag of all the resistors present in the chassis that I got as insurance in case the existing ones have drifted. How critical are the values for proper operation? I'm trying to make a call between a full electrical rebuild vs a functional restoration. For instance a 50k is reading around 34k so it should definitely get replaced (above 20% drift). Do you generally leave the carbon (dogbone) resistors in place if they are within tolerance of modern carbon resistors (10% or so?) or should they be replaced due to the fact that they will likely age and cause trouble before too long?

I'm also curious what the opinion is on inrush current limiters (NTC) and generally what size is recommended. I have an extra laying around from a tube audio amp project.

Thanks for the input Icon_smile

Messages In This Thread
Philco 44 - circuit and parts - by Guest - 10-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Re: Philco 44 - circuit and parts - by Ed Locker - 10-08-2008, 07:42 AM
Re: Philco 44 - circuit and parts - by mandh - 10-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Re: Philco 44 - circuit and parts - by Guest - 10-11-2008, 02:17 AM
Re: Philco 44 - circuit and parts - by mandh - 10-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Re: Philco 44 - circuit and parts - by Guest - 10-17-2008, 11:45 PM