Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rebuilding a Philco Tropic 42-730EZ

NostalgiaRadioTime Wrote:That feeling you get when you first power up a radio after an electronic restoration never gets old and never varies. There's always that nervous anticipation followed by excitement and a sigh of relief when it finally comes to life receiving stations!

Absolutely right, Greg. And thank you! Icon_biggrin

Epilog:

The 42-730EZ is aligned and plays very well on all bands save for Band 4, "25-31 Meters" (9.3 to 12 mc, the second band from the top on the scale). I will deal with that later. Since the same coils that are in use on Band 4 are also used with Band 5, I do not believe it is a coil issue. Looking at the schematic, there is a mica cap - (27), 375 pF, that is switched in with the oscillator coil (25) on Band 4. On Band 5, a different cap, (26), 80 pF, is connected to this coil instead.

Oscillator coil (25) is also the oscillator coil for Band 3. And Bands 3 and 5 work. A preliminary look at the schematic seems to point to cap (27) as the possible culprit, although it could also be trimmer (19D) but I would suspect the mica cap (27) before the trimmer.

I hesitate to dig into mica caps such as (27) because it is sort of buried between oscillator coils under the chassis, which is the main reason why I'm stopping work on it for now.

Anyway, here's a shot of the radio, reassembled and playing merrily away:

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...e00014.jpg]

This table model radio has surprisingly good tone and sounds great.

I think that's all for now on this one, folks. Next case.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Rebuilding a Philco Tropic 42-730EZ - by sam - 10-15-2014, 03:52 AM
RE: Rebuilding a Philco Tropic 42-730EZ - by Ron Ramirez - 10-18-2014, 09:34 PM
RE: Rebuilding a Philco Tropic 42-730EZ - by sam - 10-19-2014, 04:20 PM