Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 60 Tuning Condenser Shaft Slipping

Okay - Here's what I have. I removed the tuning shaft (only 1-1/2"-2" long) and cleaned/lubricated it. Removed the 3 bearings from the brass shaft/sleeve and clean & lubricated them - as well as cleaned & lubricated the inside of the brass shaft/sleeve. Lubricated the bearings surrounding the brass shaft contained in the condenser frame. Tried to turn the adjustment screw on the backside of the condenser frame and it's completely frozen - tried to lube and free with no success.

Results of the above: 1) The short steel tuning shaft (holding in pic 3) turns very freely but doesn't move the condenser blades at all, 2) Finger turning the brass shaft/sleeve that has the 3 bearings in it turns the blades very smoothly with no slip - as it should.

I'm sorry, I can't figure this out. I see nothing on the end of the short steel shaft (notch, teeth, etc) that should/would engage inside the brass shaft/sleeve to turn the blades. With the adjustment screw on the backside frozen, I'm at a loss as to how to disassemble the entire shaft and clean/lubricate -- but seemingly this would have no effect anyway since the blades turn so smoothly when finger turning the brass sleeve.

No clue what to do here. Any advice would be appreciated. I've attached these pictures in order to illustrate what I'm working with. Note: any white discoloration is the white lube I used and since wiped off the excess. Thanks.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

Messages In This Thread