Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New Philco project on the bench

An update on the Philco, there was indeed a U.S equivalent to this model, the model number escapes me at the moment, so only the model number itself was Canada only. I installed three new filter condensers, to replace the double section twist can below and the single 500 volt unit above the chassis, all three fit below the chassis and the set plays with zero hum. I changed yet another resistor, a 2200 ohm unit in series with a .05 mf condenser which was used for bass boost, I took care of this after discovering a touchy solder joint somewhere under the 50L6 power output tube.
I then decided to align the IFs, in spite of what the Philco service literature said the IF frequency is not 460 Kc for this radio it is 455 kc, I discovered this error after attempting to set it at 46O kc and the sensitivity dropped. The proper IF frequency is marked on the sides of the IF cans themselves, when I set them to 455 kc the set perked right up, this is a little hot rod considering it only has five tubes, I wonder if the 7A8 converter has something to do with it? I will deal with the oscillator and antenna alignments next since the stations are a bit off, but I am cleaning the chassis right now so I will get to that in a few days. There is also some paint lifting off the top edge of the dial glass, it is out of sight but I will need to figure out how to glue that back down to stop it from getting worse, a bit of lacquer between perhaps?
Best Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
New Philco project on the bench - by Arran - 01-06-2009, 12:13 AM
Re: New Philco project on the bench - by Arran - 01-07-2009, 01:03 AM
Re: New Philco project on the bench - by Arran - 01-15-2009, 11:39 PM
Re: New Philco project on the bench - by Arran - 02-16-2009, 11:12 PM
Re: New Philco project on the bench - by Jim Berg - 02-18-2009, 01:33 PM
Re: New Philco project on the bench - by Guest - 08-04-2010, 08:18 AM