Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-285 capacitor help needed!!

Ron,

Thank you so much for your quick reply to my post. The information you provided was very helpful! I have since discovered that several items in my original post were incorrect. First, yes I did order the schematic information from Chuck's web site, not yours! The information was invaluable in helping with my restoration! Second, the missing capacitors that I listed were not missing at all! The capacitors shown on the Philco chassi illustration and parts list, and those found in the radio itself did not completely match. This led to confusion on my part. Upon closer inspection I discovered that the only capacitor missing form my set is the #33 capacitor found on the parts list and illustration near the 7A6 tube, but not found on the schematic. Well I followed your advise and replaced all of the film and electrolytic capacitors according to the schematic. I also replaced many of the rotten rubber wires. When I turned the set on it had low volume and was not very sensitive. I went back over all of my work I found it to be correct. I decided to see if I could improve the set's performace by attempting to align it. I do not have a signal generator or vacuum tube volt meter. I carefully followed the alignment instructions that I got from Chuck as closely as possible. Well the old girl came fully to life! The sensitivity and audio level is now very impressive! The dial also tracks very closely! The radio is now a real joy to operate! Now all that I need to do is replace a bit more of the old wiring. Thankfully most of the wiring in this radio is still in good shape. So thanks again for all of your help in bringing this wonderful old radio back to life! I am sure that I will enjoy it for many years to come! Thanks also for providing this excellent web site! Reading the posts provided me with a lot of helpful information!

Kevin

Messages In This Thread
41-285 capacitor help needed!! - by Guest - 01-01-2009, 12:47 PM
Re: 41-285 capacitor help needed!! - by Guest - 01-24-2009, 08:40 PM