Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cabinet refinish cost?

(04-30-2015, 05:26 PM)klondike98 Wrote:  Here's a benchmark of sorts.  We had a small cherry table with a circular top (approx 2.5 ft in diameter).  The top needed to be refinished.  We got a quote from a business (with high Angies list marks) for refinishing the top only as follows:
-remove the top
-chemically strip and neutralize the strip
-sand
-stain to match color
-apply sealer coat
-sand sealer coat
-clear coat to satin finish
-sand between clear coats (5-6 coats)

$250

Not a radio but similar tho not the same activity.

Pardon me but any time I read an invoice, quote, or bill, where they mention applying stain to raw wood, without anything inbetween like a wood conditioner, it says to me "Amateur Hour". Really, they are actually invoicing sanding sanding sealer, or sanding the wood? What's more, even though it is a cherry top, no grain filler on the list? So this guy sprays five to six coats of "lacquer" I would assume, and then sands between each coat, that says to me that he is attempting to fill the grain with finish, which is not a very good idea, the thicker the finish is the more likely it is to crack and craze. This is a personal preference of course but I would stay away from the satin finish (really a matte finish), it's too soft, if you want satin you can rub out a gloss finish you can rub it out to make it matte. In my opinion they seem to be putting too many hours into the wrong procedures, and in the end charges too much for what is a very small project, if I were you I would take a crack at refinishing it myself with Watco lacquer.
 Finishing, or refinishing furniture used to be a proper craft and trade, just like a cabinetmaker, or an electrician, now it seems like every guy with a spray gun can hang out a shingle. In my grandfather's case he learned as an apprentice, in fact he was a French polisher, and knew all sorts of tricks for repairing water rings or removing cigarette burns, without stripping. Now most of them do exactly what this Angies listed guy does, strip, stain, N' clearcoat. I don't know whether you requested the matte finish or whether that is this guy's default finish, a lot of guys like to use that stuff because they think it will help hide flaws, and you can forget about tinted lacquer, ask about that and they look at you like are from Mars.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
cabinet refinish cost? - by Fred Taylor - 04-30-2015, 01:31 PM
RE: cabinet refinish cost? - by Phlogiston - 04-30-2015, 01:59 PM
RE: cabinet refinish cost? - by Fred Taylor - 04-30-2015, 03:18 PM
RE: cabinet refinish cost? - by klondike98 - 04-30-2015, 05:26 PM
RE: cabinet refinish cost? - by Arran - 04-30-2015, 10:03 PM
RE: cabinet refinish cost? - by Fred Taylor - 04-30-2015, 11:21 PM
RE: cabinet refinish cost? - by GarySP - 05-01-2015, 10:05 AM
RE: cabinet refinish cost? - by OldRestorer - 05-01-2015, 10:53 AM
RE: cabinet refinish cost? - by Fred Taylor - 05-01-2015, 11:07 AM