Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Getting the 16B Working

Now Guys!...,( hee hee) now Pete, a Philco "blockectomy" sounds VERY serious!!! I totally understand why it is easier in some cases to use the existing bakelight blocks, and keeping originality in some cases. For me, it is in reverse, since many of the old Philco bakelite condensers solder- points were used as tie-points anyways, I prefer the terminal strips. I call that a "terminal-blockectomy condition"!!!!,( hee hee),... and some of the more "cancerous-conditions "of orig Philco bakelite types had new caps "tacked-on" only, with orig caps left hidden- underneath still in-circuit also, which I call a " triple-bi-polar,cancerous, blockectomy" ready to happen again in the future with orig- parts hidden underneath!? If the old techs tried just "tacking new parts in place" on existing vintage Philco bakelite condensers,just like we all have seen new filter-caps tacked onto orig points of B+ origins, reckon anyone in the future may think it is also a good idea to "tack on" to your recently rebuilt Philco bakelite blocks without fully removing the old parts underneath first?
Im jus KIDDIN Ya'LL !! ... but I never heard of a Philco "blockectomy" before!! Thats Good!!When I replace the bakelite blocks, I do a very nice presentation of installing the terminal-strips, and work is neat & tidy also! I have "no-quarrels" at all with my Philco Pfriends that rebuild bakelite blocks at all! I understand the originality concept very well, and its kinda like using "bondo" on car repairs to some using term-strips I knowq, but replacing bakelite blocks w/ terminal-strips ( and well marked components easily seen & identified) can keep the "guesswork" out my restorations for future vintage radio techs to 'preciate also?, without the hassel of ever removing them bakelights again!To some future techs, my idea may be called "terminal genious"!?? Reckon?? ( hee hee, only guys!!) Thanks for putting up with me!The vintage Philcos chassis' are definately "terminal-friendly" indeed! Icon_wink

Messages In This Thread
Getting the 16B Working - by radiomikee - 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Re: Getting the 16B Working - by Texasrocker - 02-04-2009, 02:43 AM
Re: Getting the 16B Working - by etech - 02-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Re: Getting the 16B Working - by radiomikee - 02-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Re: Getting the 16B Working - by Arran - 02-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Re: Getting the 16B Working - by Ron Ramirez - 02-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Re: Getting the 16B Working - by AI2V - 02-05-2009, 10:58 PM
Re: Getting the 16B Working - by Texasrocker - 02-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Re: Getting the 16B Working - by radiomikee - 02-06-2009, 11:20 PM