Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoring dial surface

Hey Brian,
Thanks for the idea.
I actually went to a craft store and bought a sheet of "crushed velvet card stock" They didn't have one in brown so I
got a white sheet. A felt tipped marking pen could have worked to color it but couln't find a brown. So took a can
of "camouflage" (brown) spray paint with a color that was about as close as one could get and painted a portion
of the sheet. It took 3-4 coats to cover well. Then seperated the paper backing from it after cutting it to the
size I needed.
Then I used some 3M adhesive spray to go over both the metal and paper materials. I applied the paper material
and it stuck very well (have to be accurate when starting as it doesn't work to remove and reposition). The only
problem I had was on the one end that has the extruded metal portion. Here I just tried pressing the paper over
this area pressing down on the corners. The one part resulted in a few cracks and, of course, the part that
probably won't show came out perfectly, I touched it up with another shot of paint and it looks pretty good.
I had used masking tape to prevent paint on areas when I didn't want it.
Last step was to use an Xacto knife and cut out the 4 slotted openings for the band names to show through....
oh yes, one more shot of paint to cover the rough edges on the openings. It isn't as perfect as I would have
liked but looks 90% better than it did.

Thanks again.... Harlan

Messages In This Thread
Restoring dial surface - by Harlan - 02-18-2009, 03:26 PM
Re: Restoring dial surface - by BDM - 02-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Re: Restoring dial surface - by Syl - 02-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Re: Restoring dial surface - by Harlan - 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Re: Restoring dial surface - by gary rabbitt - 02-20-2009, 12:50 AM